Cretans have always honored their gastronomic tradition as the basis of what is more commonly known now as the “Mediterranean diet”, the healthiest diet in the world, according to scientists.
The island of Crete is a vegetarian paradise; countless healthy and incredibly nutritious dishes, including wild greens, raw salads, herbs, and vegetables eaten boiled, legumes cooked in various ways, show a plethora of food options for health-conscious travelers.
There are quite a few traditional dishes that are either vegan as they are, called nistissima or easily veganizable by just leaving out the feta or tzatziki! Remember that the base ingredients of Cretan cuisine are simple and local, therefore you can find many dishes with vegetables at all restaurants.
10 Best Vegan / Vegetarian-Friendly Restaurants in Western Crete
1. To Stachi Bio Slow Food is one of Crete’s most popular vegan restaurants in a quaint side street with park and water views. Offers a daily changing set of lunch menu courses.
Tags: Vegetarian, Vegan, Gluten-free, Organic Cretan seasonal ingredients
Address: St. Defkalionos 5, Chania Old Town
2. Pulse restaurant The pulse of the city beats vegan all year round. Pulse is rated on Tripadvisor and receives 4.5.
Tags: Vegetarian, Vegan Meze, Organic, Delivery, Vegan moussaka
Address: St. Theotokopoulou 70, Chania
3. Portes Restaurant Known and appreciated for interesting twists on those classic Cretan dishes in a great location.
Tags: Vegan-friendly, Lots of vegan options, Mediterranean Cuisine,
Address: Akti Papanikoli 1, Chania
4. Esspressaki Vegan deli cafe that offers plant-based and refined sugar-free snacks and house-made baked goods.
Tags: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Raw desserts, Take-out Bakery
Adress: Souda Airport National Rd, Aroni, Chania
5. Nektar A famous juice bar switched all-vegan in 2018, located in the heart of the city, specialized in slow juices all made from organic, locally sourced ingredients, raw plant-based snacks, and desserts.
Tags: Vegan, Organic, Raw, Juice bar, Take-out, Gluten-free, Eco- zero waste
Address: St. El. Venizelou 9, Chania
6. Third Eye A small, family operated business with big ambitions located in a big village in south-west Crete.
Tags: Strictly Vegan-Vegetarian, Fresh local produce, Best daily specials
Adress: Palaiochora, Chania
1. Let’s Vegan Rethymno Restaurant The first all-vegan restaurant in town est. summer of 2019.
Tags: Strictly Vegan-Vegetarian, Mediterranean, Juice bar, Take-out snacks
Address: St. Eleftheríou Venizélou 16, Rethimno
2. Stella's Kitchen Like a granny's style kitchen eatery with many home flavors, hidden in a narrow old town street of Rethymno.
Tags: Vegan-Friendly, Homemade recipes, Family atmosphere, Local Food
Address: St. Souliou 55, Rethymnon Old Town
3. 1600 raki ba raki Α modern reinterpretation of the classic Rakadiko located in a picturesque alley, in the center of the Old Town.
Tags: Vegan-Friendly, Local Cretan specialties, Mediterranean-style meze meal
Address: St. 17 Arambatzoglou, Old Town Rethymno
4. Lemonokipos Located amidst important historic building monuments, with vegan options available on the menu.
Tags: Vegan-Friendly, Greek culinary tradition, Fresh natural ingredients
Address: St. Ethnikis Antistaseos 100, Rethymno
airbnb superhost since 2014
of Travel & Tourist Agencies