Dreaming of the perfect setting at the golden hour holding your loved one’s hands? Here is a list of the most photogenic spots to admire the sublime sunset in Western Crete for awe-inspiring moments to share and remember.
1. Elafonissi Beach One of the most visited exotic beaches on the south-western coast is also a famous “observatory” of sunsets especially from the island, away from the crowds. Sunsets in Elafonissi are magical with its dunes, cedar trees, white lilies, black rocks, rare species of animals and birds that live there, azure waters and pink sand make the sunset there breathtaking.
2. Balos Beach Few activities are as special as watching the sunset from Balos lagoon. Get your camera and catch the striking shades of the sun setting before you. Getting there by car will allow you to hang around even longer to watch a magnificent sunset after the ferry crowds have disappeared.
3. Falasarna Beach A wealth of turquoise blues that are still to be discovered at this beach awarded as one of the best beaches in the entire world and a sunset worth a thousand words. If you prefer to have a drink and even listen to chill-out music while watching the sundowner, the bar Orange Blue is perched on a small hill overlooking Falasarna beach and the ocean.
4. Venizelos Tombs One of the best romantic spots for couples or wedding ceremonies to watch the Cretan landscape glow orange as the sun disappeared behind the mountains, located on top of Prophet Ilias hill, which has also a fantastic panoramic view of Chania city.
5. Fortezza The Venetian fortress overlooking the old town of Rethymno still dominates the town. This Venetian watchtower built at the end of the 17th century is an ideal setting from where you can contemplate the sunset over the sea and the mountains of Crete.
6. Agios Pavlos beach The south coast of Rethymno prefecture is much more rugged and less visited than the busy north part, but the beach with the imposing sand dunes of Agios Pavlos offers an amazing sunset above a landscape of rare natural beauty.
7. Chania's Venetian Harbour Enjoy with other sunset hunters the famous boulevard from this busy spot, having a great view of the Egyptian lighthouse, the Ottoman Mosque to your right, and pastel-colored preservable buildings to your left.
8. Lighthouse Gavdos At the southern edge of Europe, enjoy one of the most overwhelming views of a sunset sinking in the sea from the highest point on the island. Gavdos, the Calypso’s island, is one of the most exotic islands near Crete ideal to switch off your mobile and forget the concept of time.
Airbnb superhost since 2014
of Travel & Tourist Agencies